2 Teenagers Charged in Connection to Kansas City Super Bowl Rally Shooting

Two teenagers were charged with resisting arrest and “gun-related” offenses in connection with a shooting that left one person dead and nearly two dozen others injured during a Super Bowl victory celebration in Kansas City, Mo., the authorities said on Friday.

Additional charges are expected to be filed, according to a spokeswoman for the Office of the Juvenile Officer in Jackson County, Mo. The teenagers, who have not been publicly identified, remained in custody at a juvenile detention center on Friday.

The juveniles could eventually be tried as adults, a judicial process that takes days or weeks. The police had initially detained a third young person, but they later determined that the person was not involved in the shooting and released them without charges.

Under Missouri law, judicial hearings for minors are closed to the public. Jean Peters Baker, the Jackson County prosecutor, said on Friday that her office is collaborating with investigators and the juvenile court officers.

The authorities have said that the shooting stemmed from an argument among several people. The gunfire erupted on Wednesday afternoon outside the city’s Union Station, where tens of thousands of Kansas City football fans were gathered for a rally to celebrate their team’s Super Bowl victory.

Twenty-two people were injured, and about half of the victims were younger than 16, officials have said. Most of the injured were struck by gunshots.

The person who was killed was identified as Elizabeth Galvan, 43, who was also known as Lisa Lopez-Galvan. She was a host of a local radio program, a mother of two children and, friends said, a passionate supporter of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Kourtney and Jesse King, a married couple who were at the rally with their three sons, said they saw a dispute between at least four people that led to two young men firing wildly at each other.

The Kings said they saw a woman and a man exchange harsh words with two other men, at least one of whom may have been a teenager. Soon, they said, guns were drawn, and two of the young men began firing at each other.

“They were running away from each other,” Mr. King said. “But they were still firing weapons behind their backs, just not really aiming.”

Some people ran or ducked for cover. A wave of fans, many wearing team jerseys, sprinted along barricaded streets that had been the scene of revelry moments before.

One video captured two men tackling a man and holding him down until police arrived. One of the men, Paul Contreras, said he saw a gun fall to the ground as he took the man down.

Stacey Graves, the Kansas City police chief, praised the actions of bystanders, who she said had “physically stopped a person who was believed to be involved” in the shooting.

Jacey Fortin contributed reporting. Susan C. Beachy contributed research.

Back to top button